Julia Thomson is my guest this week. Julia is the Project Coordinator – Communications at Ottawa Tourism.
Ottawa is reinventing itself! Ottawa 2017 has been a hit and Julia is confident that Ottawa is just getting started.
Julia shares with us what events have been in Ottawa this year, what is coming up for the rest of Ottawa 2017, and shares what her top 3 things to do in Ottawa are.
Key Points (Click the timecode to go to that part of the interview)
- [1:30] Ottawa has something to do every season, every neighborhood, you just have to get out there and get engaged.
- [1:45] Contrary to popular belief, Ottawa Tourism is not part of City Hall or Ottawa 2017. Our job is to promote Ottawa as a destination both internationally and domestically.
- [4:35] The idea that Ottawa is a boring town is a very outdated stereotype. Ottawa has the feel of a small town but has the amenities of a big city.
- [5:50] How has Ottawa 2017 been?
- It has been an amazing year for Ottawa.
- The main site for RedBull Crashed Ice reached capacity each night of the competition
- [7:15] Lonely Planet named Canada the best place to visit in 2017. The New York Times listed Canada as the top destination and even did a series called 36 Hours in Ottawa listing all the great things to do.
- [9:00] What has been the top events that have been attracting tourists this year?
- [14:00] When Ottawa 2017 is over, what’s next?
- One of the benefits of Ottawa 2017 has been the building of legacy items.
- There have been new additions to many of the galleries like the new Arctic Gallery at the Canadian Museum of Nature, and the Canadian and Indigenous Galleries at the National Gallery of Canada.
- The reopening of the Bank of Canada Museum (formerly the Currency Museum)
- The Canada Science and Technology Museum will reopen. (The crazy kitchen will still be there!)
- Holocaust Monument by the War Museum.
- [18:10] What else is happening this year for Ottawa 2017?
- [20:00] In your opinion, what are the top 3 things to do in Ottawa?
- Visit the major attractions. Take a free tour of Parliament Hill; you have not been to Ottawa if you have not been to Parliament Hill. In the summer, you can do outdoor yoga on the hill on Wednesdays at 12 PM.
- Check out the Byward Market, Hintonburg, and Wellington West.
- One of my favorites is to get active. Ottawa has over 600 KM of bike paths.
- [25:05] Need help deciding what to do? Check out Julia’s weekly post called ‘Things To Do In Ottawa This Weekend“.
Contact Ottawa Tourism